Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Baby Louie


Suctioning the poo out!! Gross!! LOL :P



Eye Ointment
Vitamin K injection
Listening to the lungs
Isn't he cute?!! :)
Minutes after birth
So cute!! I don't know how anyone couldn't love him!!!

4am Saturday morning, Auntie Imelda knocked on our bedroom door to say that Auntie Shirley was here in labor! I had only fallen asleep at 2 so I was kinda out of it but when I went downstairs I woke up really fast!! Auntie Shirley is 36 with 6 children already. She labors are usually fast so we knew that we didn’t have much time to get ready. I got to do an internal exam, IE, for the first time! So crazy to feel the baby’s head before it comes out!! Auntie Shirley’s blood pressure was a bit high so I kept monitoring it and trying to get her to drink lots of water. Within the hour the baby Louie was out!! I was the one to ‘catch’ the baby this time!! So crazy!! The water hadn’t broken and the baby was born with a membrane covering it that had to be ripped open so he could breathe! He was also born covered in poo so we did a lot of suctioning to try and prevent it from going into his lungs. As soon as the cord stopped pulsating I clamped and cut it! I was a bit worried cuz a lot of blood came out a few minutes after the baby came out but before the placenta. But this is normal. I also delivered the placenta! They taught me to wrap the cord around the clamp and hold firmly on the uterus while gently wiggling the cord. When the placenta came out we had to examine it to make sure no pieces were missing that would be still inside Auntie Shirley and cause hemorrhaging! Meanwhile, the baby was being cleaned up and examined and then we gave him Vitamin K injection and eye ointment.
I kept monitoring Auntie Shirley’s blood pressure and pulse. Her blood pressure was going down so that was good. We gave her baby Louie to breast feed. He was such a hungry baby, wanted to eat all the time!! After he was fed for awhile, Auntie Shirley wanted to rest so I held baby Louie!! We had found out that Auntie Shirley hadn’t wanted to be pregnant and had tried to have an abortion by taking cykotic (some type of pills that makes the uterus contract to expel out the baby) but it didn’t work. The pregnancy before this one when she took the drug it did work! I was really upset to hear that! She had taken the drug when she was 2 months pregnant so baby Louie might have some birth defects because of it but to me he looked perfect! These drugs are quite expensive but people will pay the money if they can manage to save up enough because they really don’t want to have a baby. Some girls take so much of this drug that they themselves die! As this is becoming more known in the drug stores, they are trying to control who has access to this drug but even if it’s not available in the drug store, some form of the drug is available on the street! My heart broke to think that this adorable little boy wasn’t wanted and I tried to encourage mother and baby bonding for the rest of the time that they were here at our place!! I pray that she really comes to love her baby!! And that there are no adverse side affects to baby Louie because of the drugs!

No comments: