Sunday, August 3, 2008

A less exciting week

This girl was so cute with her colorful umbrella and huge eyes!! She kept calling me auntie!
Once I started taking pictures, the kids just kepting wanting more and more! I think they're a little lacking in attention!
These 3 girls were 'my girls'!! Hope I can see them again!
They stood right outside the truck til I left! Even tho it was pouring rain!
Big kids and little kids wanted to get a picture with me!
Me and Karen at the Passion Conference.
My young fan club at the concert! They kept walking by me all night saying something that my friends translated for me, meant Barbie! Silly boys!! They were so excited to take a picture with me! For such a large city, I sure haven't seen very many western people!
The conference was really good!
Chris Tomlin did most of the worship.
Me and boyfriend!! Just kidding, mom!! A street vendor outside the concert. We were waiting in a long line for almost 5 hours before we got in so had to do something to pass the time! lol

So, this week has been really boring compared to my first week here! And on top of that I've been a bit sick:( Caught a really bad cold from one of the patients last week so I've been feeling really miserable! Doesn't seem right to have a cold in such a hot climate!! lol Since being sick I have found out some interesting beliefs the Filipino's have in regards to being sick. First they think I'm sick because I was out in the rain! And I'm not supposed to eat mango when I'm sick cuz it will make my throat itchy!! The Philippines has amazing mangos so I usually eat at least one everyday!! I tried to say that I didn't think that would happen to me! And if I exercise and I'm all hot and sweaty, I have to wait til I cool down before I can shower!! So gross!! All I wanna do is have a cold shower! But I'm trying to listen to what they tell me as much as possible! This week has also been slower because of the weather. It's been really stormy here!! Thunder, lightening, strong winds and lots and lots of rain!! When the weather's like this people don't like to go outside. So the Friday morning clinic got cancelled and we had fewer than normal patients visiting us at our place. One lady, Rafel, is due soon and has really high blood pressure. She has no money to deliver in the hospital but with her health the way it is, the midwives are hesitant to deliver her baby at our place. I'm a bit concerned about her. I just pray for her and if we haven't heard from her by Monday, then I will see if we can go track her down! So the most exciting part of my week was the weekend. Friday night I went to the Passion conference that was being held here in Manila. I'd never heard of it before but its been going on since 1997. Right now they are in the middle of a world tour, going to major cities all around the world. They will be in Vancouver at the end of Oct I think. Chris Tomlin was the main worship leader. And there was a really good speaker too. Lui Gigliano (not sure how to spell his name!!). There were 8,000 people there. Mostly all Filipinos!! We worshipped together, and prayed together and you could really feel God's presence there! It was powerful! I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to be there! Then on Saturday afternoon I got the opportunity to go to a nearby mountain village with some people from the Baptist church that I've been going to. They have a children's ministry there with about 150 kids. They teach them songs, Bible stories and feed them. It was really neat to go and see all the kids! And they really seemed to like seeing me too!! I think I have some new friends. I hope I can go back and see them again!!:)Well, that's about all for this week. I'll try to put some pics up on my blog of the concert and the kids. Hopefully I'll be feeling better next week and I'll have some more exciting things to write about!Love and Prayers, Sherina

No comments: